The 2021 Romanian Chamber Orchestra Project gravitates under the metaphor of the compass, a geometrical instrument that describes a perfect circle.
Through “Call for Scores 2021”, the Romanian Chamber Orchestra aims to commemorate 140 years since the birth of two great composers: George Enescu and Béla Bartók.
Strengthening the symbiosis between the authenticity of folk elements and the modernity of their own musical language, we encourage the commemoration of these giants of the universal classical music, by quoting them in the new composition or by using their own compositional language to bring the audience acknowledge the musical universe of the two great composers of the twentieth century.
The theme “Call for Scores” of 2021 can also be centered around the feelings brought up by the pandemic’s(which severely affected the cultural sector), the feelings of despair and fear, but also the feeling of confidence and hope, specific to the current period (waiting for the cultural life to come back to normality).
Empower emerging Romanian composers to write music.
Enriching the national contemporary repertoire.
Promoting young Romanian composers by showcasing their work.
Conditions for participation
- The appeal is open to young composers, aged between 18-40, who hold Romanian citizenship. Each competitor can participate with one or more compositions.
- The work with which he will participate in the competition must be original, not previously performed in front of the public and be composed for a chamber orchestra that has the following instruments in the orchestral apparatus: strings, flute, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets, 2 bassoons and 2 horns.
- The maximum duration of the work should be about 8 minutes.
- Registration does not involve any participation fee and will be done by e-mail, at email@example.com, mentioning in the subject of the e-mail: RCO call for scores – NAME OF PARTICIPANT.
- The composition will be attached in pdf format (max. 20 MB), together with your personal CV (max. 1800 characters). If there are private recordings (without the presence of the public) of the work submitted in the contest, they will be made available to the organizers in the form of a link inserted in the body of the e-mail (Youtube / Soundcloud / Vimeo).
- The selection process is coordinated by the artistic directors of the orchestra, the jury including the conductor Cristian Macelaru and the artistic directors of the Romanian Chamber Orchestra.
The registration deadline is the 18th of July 2021.
We wish you success!