Conducting Masterclass with Cristian Măcelaru
Available places: 6
Term of application: 18th of July 2020
Communicating the results: 25th of July 2020
*15th – 18th of August 2020 – Timișoara
*19th – 22nd of August 2020 – București
Schedule & repertoire:
- Selected repertoire: Serenade for strings Op. 22 by Antonín Dvořák, Death and the Maiden by Franz Schubert (arr. Gustav Mahler), and the designated composition from the Call for scores.
- The selected participants will have full access to all the orchestra’s rehearsals and concerts.
- Topics related to the conductor-orchestra relationship and other aspects particularly important for the artistic development of the participants will be addressed.
- Each participant will have the opportunity to conduct the Romanian Chamber Orchestra, for 30 minutes, by preparing the first movement of the Serenade for String Orchestra op.48 by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky.
Application and full information:
- The masterclass is open to all conductors aged 18-30.
- Full participation in the masterclass is mandatory, in both locations.
- In the online application form, the participants will submit a video recording, of approx. 10 minutes, as a link (YouTube, Vimeo) which can be from a rehearsal, concert, or competition. The video applicant must be seen all the time during the provided recording (preferably front camera recording, to be able to observe the gestures and expression).
- The participant must upload a personal resume of max. 2 pages.
- The submission of a letter of recommendation from a musician or a conductor with whom the participant has collaborated (written in Romanian, English, French, or German).
- The applicant has to submit a cover letter (max. 1800 characters) which must briefly include details related to the reason of appliance, and long term carries plans.
- The participation fee is €750 and includes the masterclass fee and the accommodation in a single room, in the hotel where the orchestra is accommodated. The transportation and meal fees are covered by the participants.
- If accommodation is not required, the masterclass fee is €500.
- On receiving notification of acceptance for the masterclass, the selected students must confirm their attendance and pay the course fee by the specified deadline.
- In case the conducting masterclass will not be held due to exceptional restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic, the organizer will refund the full amount.
Scholarship for Romanian conductors:
- Romanian Chamber Orchestra offers a limited number of full/partial scholarships to Romanian conductors, as support for circumstances where the precarious financial situation does not allow them to participate in the masterclass.
- In this case, the scholarship covers the participation fee.
- The accommodation, meal, and transportation fees are covered by the participant.
- The application for the scholarship is made through the cover letter, which is uploaded in the form below. The scholarship request must be supported by financial documents that will be processed by the organizers by following the GDPR standards.
- After all complete applications have been received, Cristian Măcelaru, alongside the artistic directors of the Romanian Chamber Orchestra, will evaluate the applications and select the participants.
- The results will be announced on 25th July 2020 at the latest.
- On receiving notification of acceptance for the course, the selected students must confirm their attendance and pay the course fee by the specified deadline