BORN IN

Timisoara, Romania

About

Principal Viola Swiss Orchestra, Orchestra of Europe

Ladislau Cristian Andriş is a Romanian-Swiss viola player born in 1984 in Timișoara, Romania. At the National College of Music “Ion Vidu” he receives his first violin, and later viola lessons from his mother, Monica Andriş, and his uncle, Ionel Bota.

At age 18 he leaves his home country to study in Madrid (Escuela Superior de Musica “Reina Sofia”), Freiburg im Breisgau (Hochschule für Musik Freiburg), Lugano (Conservatorio della Svizzera Italiana) and Hamburg (Hochschule für Musik und Theater Hamburg) with professors like: Wolfram Christ, Bruno Giuranna, Gérard Caussé, Marius Nichiteanu, Diemut Poppen, David Quiggle and Jensen Horn Sim Lam. He attended to masterclasses with teachers such as Tabea Zimmermann, Hatto Beyerle, Hartmut Rohde, Barbara Westphal, Walter Küssner, Tanja Christ and Andra Darzins.

The following musicians have been among his chamber music partners: Robert Cohen, Boris Garlitzki, Gerhard Schulz, Alissa Margulis, Latica Honda Rosenberg, Isabel Charisius, Felix Renggli, Bernhard Hartog, Liviu Prunaru, Wolfram Christ, Andra Darzins, Olaf Manninger, Marc Bouchkov, Alexander Kerr, Alexander Buzlov and Ulrich Wolff.

Recent activities include the Romanian first auditions of the Cecil Forsyth Viola Concerto and the Béla Bartók Viola Concerto (Péter Bartók/ Nelson Dellamaggiore version).

Since 2014 he is teaching viola at the West University of Timisoara – Faculty of Music and Theater and plays in different Swiss orchestras like Zürich Chamber Orchestra, Lucerne Festival Strings and Swiss Radio Orchestra Lugano, being appointed as principal viola in the Orchestra of Europe and the Swiss Orchestra.

As a soloist, he performed with the Romanian National Radio Orchestra, Hastings Philharmonic Orchestra, Banatul Philharmonic Orchestra, Transylvania State Philharmonic Orchestra, Sibiu Philharmonic Orchestra, Romanian Youth Orchestra, et. al.

Ladislau Cristian Andriş performs on a Charles Boullangier viola, build in 1885 in London.